The Dallas Morning Information
DALLAS — A person who drank from a water bottle after his responsible verdict in a Denton County courtroom Thursday was taken to a hospital and later died Thursday, in line with his protection legal professional.
Edward Peter Leclair, 57, of Frisco confronted 5 counts of kid sexual assault associated to an incident that came about in June 2016, in line with jail data. He was arrested in July 2018 and later posted bond.
Leclair’s protection legal professional Mike Howard, who represented Leclair all through the case, mentioned this week’s trial started with jury choice Monday.
Closing arguments have been introduced Thursday morning and jurors started deliberating shortly after 10 a.m., Howard mentioned. After 3 1/2 hours of deliberations, the jury convicted Leclair on all 5 counts.
All through the trial, Howard mentioned, Leclair had been ingesting from a transparent plastic water bottle. On Thursday, following the announcement of the primary two responsible verdicts, Howard seen that Leclair took a “lengthy drink” from the bottle.
Denton County prosecutor Jamie Beck instructed the Denton Report-Chronicle the water bottle was full of “cloudy” liquid. Howard mentioned he didn’t see whether or not the liquid was cloudy however was instructed that a minimum of two folks within the courtroom seen it was cloudy or yellow, like lemonade.
Following the decision, Leclair was taken into custody and despatched to a holding cell earlier than the punishment part of the trial. He confronted as much as 100 years in jail.
Howard mentioned he went into the holding cell to debate the following steps with Leclair, who gave the impression to be “in a state of shock.”
“He appeared as you’ll think about anyone who had simply gotten very severe sobering information,” Howard mentioned.
After Howard left the cell to speak to a witness, he mentioned he heard commotion and that bailiffs mentioned that Leclair had been vomiting for a number of minutes. EMS personnel arrived about 10 minutes later, Howard mentioned, and Leclair was positioned on a gurney and brought to a hospital.
Howard mentioned Leclair appeared “noticeably grey.”
“I assumed at the moment that it was very severe and there was a very good likelihood that he wouldn’t survive,” he mentioned.
Leclair’s water bottle was collected as proof, the Denton Report-Chronicle reported. His explanation for loss of life has not been decided by the Tarrant County health worker’s workplace.
Howard mentioned he was unaware of any earlier medical historical past that would have probably led to Leclair’s loss of life.